Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pretzel Hugs

The Pin...

The Project...
Well, looks like I've fallen behind on my pins. I actually ended up taking a break from Pinterest to focus on preparing for the holidays. But I'm back now and hoping to add more pins to the I did it! board.

I was wandering through the holiday candy aisle in our local Target (a dangerous place to be this time of year if you value your sanity) when I came across some Hershey's Hugs. That's when I remembered this pin. I hopped a few aisle over to grab some pretzels, then braved the lines and managed not to get elbowed by any other holiday shoppers.

The recipe calls for a large amount of pretzels (a "pounder" bag) and Hugs (2 bags). Since I simply wanted to make a small test batch (and the pretzel selection wasn't great), I just grabbed an 8 oz bag of Snyder's. I almost lost them to my hubby, who threatened to eat them plain if I didn't complete my pin soon. With that in mind, I preheated my oven to 300 degrees and got to work.

I decided to do just one cookie sheet as a test batch. I was still able to fit 30 pretzels on there though, so it was decent (and a great size for gift-giving, but more on that later). The waxed paper is crucial, so definitely make sure you have some! Nothing worse than melted chocolate stuck to your cookie sheet.

Next I topped every pretzel with a Hug. After searching through the bag to find pretzels that weren't broken and then unwrapping all the Hugs, the oven was hot and ready to go. I popped them in for 2 minutes, and decided to get another 30 unbroken pretzels out to complete the "sandwiches." It ended up being perfect timing, because once I pulled the last pretzel out of the bag, the timer went off.

The Hugs looked nice and glossy once they came out of the oven. I missed the part of the pin where it said to wait a minute before topping with the remaining pretzels, but it didn't seem like there was too much chocolate that melted through.

They were ready to go into the refrigerator.

Waiting 30 minutes for them to set was really the hardest part of this pin. I wanted to taste my hard work! But finally, my timer went off, and I pulled them from the fridge.

They didn't stick to the waxed paper at all! All of the chocolate was still contained within the pretzel, and they were easy to remove from the cookie sheet. Luckily I snapped a picture before finally sampling them. They were delicious! My hubby and 2 year old couldn't agree more.


Now, remember what I said about gifting? Well, if you happen to save the pretty holiday cookie tins (like I do), it's very easy to turn these yummy treats into a great holiday gift.
Just line the tin with a colorful paper napkin (or waxed paper, as I did above) and fill with the Pretzel Hugs. 30 sandwiches make just about the perfect batch size for this.

Something New...
So now I have yet another pin to add to my I did it! board on Pinterest. If you look, you'll see that there are more pins than blog entries, simply because I don't always have my camera around when I'm working on a pin. However, there will start to be a series, as I am on the hunt for the best recipes for two of my family's favorite meals: Mac and Cheese and Broccoli and Cheese Soup. Remember to follow me on Pinterest to see more of my pins.

Happy Pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment