Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Rolls

The Pin...

The Project...
As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to give them a try. My husband has got to be the biggest buffalo wing junkie ever. However, neither of us is a big fan of bleu cheese, so we made a couple of substitutions.

The egg roll wrappers weren't too hard to find at my local grocery store (same with the broccoli slaw, which is missing from this picture). As a shortcut, I bought a precooked chicken at the store and used the breast meat for the filling. I also used feta cheese in place of bleu cheese for the rolls. Now, why do I have butter and Worcestershire out?

Well if you scroll through the comments on the recipe blog, you'll find a comment about making "authentic" Buffalo sauce using Frank's Red Hot, butter, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. In a saucepan on the stove, I melted 2 TBSP butter in 1/2 a bottle of Frank's. I added a couple squirts of Worcestershire. Honestly, I don't think I'd go through this process again, as it didn't make it taste any different to me.

After removing the pot from the heat, I added the shredded chicken to the pot and tossed well to coat.

Look, I found a picture of the broccoli slaw ;) These are the ingredients that actually made up the rolls.

A filled roll waiting to be wrapped. Having a small bowl of water is very helpful for sealing the rolls. Mine weren't as pretty as the ones on the recipe blog, but they held together well.


After all the rolls were filled and sealed, I sprayed them with cooking spray and put them in the oven. Don't forget to coat the cookie sheet with cooking spray as well! I forgot that step and ended up scrubbing it for 10 minutes to remove the burnt on juices.

15 minutes later, here's what I had. After tasting them, I realized that they could have used another couple of minutes in the oven to continue crisping up, but they weren't too limp or underdone.

All plated and ready to eat! I served them with green apple slices from some sweetness and ranch dressing for dipping.

Something New...
Of the 10 rolls I made, my husband ate at least 6 of them. All in all, I'd say that they were a hit! They were definitely too spicy for my toddler, and I am not a huge fan of Frank's Red Hot, but it was fun to try something new. These would be great to serve at a Super Bowl party. I think I'd like to try a variation with teriyaki chicken, or maybe just simple chicken egg rolls. I'm excited that I got to try a new method of cooking, and using egg roll wrappers definitely doesn't intimidate me anymore! So another pin goes onto my I did it! board, and one less boring dinner was served. Make sure to follow me on Pinterest to see more of my pins!

Happy Pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment